INFORMATION DESIGN: Exercises
Week 1-Week 2 (04/02/2026-11/02/2026)
Jennifer Michelle Hiendrawan/0374682
Information Design/Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Creative Media
Exercises
TABLE OF CONTENT
1.Lectures
2.Instructions
3.Task
4.Flip class exercise
5.Feedback
6.Reflection
LECTURES
WEEK 1:
Flip topics: Different types of infographics & online tools
Week 2
Flip Topic 2: LATCH
Week 3
Flip Topic 3: Chunking
Week 4
Flip Topic 4: Manuel Lima's
INSTRUCTIONS
TASK
Exercise 1: Quantify & Visualize data
For this exercise, I use wooden paper clips in two different sizes and various
colors. First, I put all the materials I had on the table.
Fig 3.1 All materials
Then, after observing them, I separated the wooden paper clips based on color
and size.
Fig 3.2 Seperate the wooden paper clips based on color and size
After sorting them, I began arranging and quantifying the data on paper. At first, I was confused about how to create the layout. Then I thought of placing the smaller elements on the left and right sides, while grouping the larger ones together in the center. Here is the progress.
Fig 3.3 Progress
Here
is the final outcome:
Fig 3.4 Final outcome exercise 1
Exercise 2: L.A.T.C.H
For this exercise, we must make an infographic that consists of a minimum of 4 L.A.T.C.H principles
L.A.T.C.H stands for:
Location
Alphabet
Time
Category
Hierarchy
For this exercise, i decided to use pokemon that was already provided by Mr.Martin.
I decided to use this part of the pokemon which is located in Kanto region.
Fig 3.5 Pokemon Kanto Region
Here are the pokemon that i used. I use water, fire, grass, and rock pokemon
Fig 3.6 Pokemon type
Fig 3.7 Pokemon type
First i did research about the shape of the Kanto region map on the internet, then i looked for information about where the water, fire, rock, and grass pokemon are located.
Fig 3.6 Kanto region (location)
Fig 3.7 Kanto region (location)
After doing some research and think about how to design the infographic, i finally start to design the infographic on adobe illustrator
I start to make the location first. This is the process
Fig 3.8 Kanto region process
Fig 3.9 Kanto region process
After finish making the location, i add the pokemon picture one by one and arranged it based on the evolution and category.
Fig 3.10 progress
Here i also draw the icon for the pokemon type and add the infographic title.
Fig 3.11 Progress
Here i added more details and add the map name, also finalize the infographic
Fig 3.12 Progress
Here is the final outcome
Fig 3.13 Final Outcome
L.A.T.C.H principles that i used:
1.Location: Kanto region
2.Time: Pokemon evolution from time to time
3.Category: Grouping Pokémon based on their different types
4.Hierarchy: Arranging the Pokémon from the weakest to the strongest based on their HP, from the shortest to the tallest, and from the lightest to the heaviest.
FLIP CLASS EXERCISE
Flip 1: Different Types of infographics & online tools
We were required to find one poorly designed infographic to redesign. I chose
this infographic as the one to be redesigned because the content and
information presented are too overload and confusing for readers. As a result,
readers cannot read it comfortably and may struggle to understand the intended
reading order. The layout of this infographic is very cluttered, and the
dominant use of pink as the background color does not suit the topic, which
focuses on the psychology of scrolling, such as anxiety and other mental
health issues. The overall design feels overly busy and does not effectively
convey the message.
Fig 4.1 Chosen Infographic
Therefore, i started to redesign the infographic using canva. I changed
the color to dark purple to better align with the theme. I refined the text to
improve readability and avoid confusion, and I rearranged the entire layout
for better visual flow.
Here are the progress.
First, I created the background and then made a clear title at the top. I use purple for the infographic color
Fig 4.2 Infographic redesign progress
Then i added some elements for the infographic and add the text box.
Fig 4.3 Infographic redesign progress
After that, i continue the process and write all of the infographic information one by one (clearly), so that the reader won't confuse, and the reader can know which one should be read first.
Fig 4.4 Infographic redesign progress
Final Outcome:
Fig 4.5 Final Outcome Infographic
Flip 2: Kinetic Typography
This week we practice together at class to make a kinetic typography using null object. Here are the progress First i type the lyric and adjust the scale, position, etc
Fig 4.6 Progress
Next i use null object to make the camera movement and easier to make a transition
Fig 4.7 Null Object
Final Outcome
Fig 4.8 Final Outcome
REFLECTION

.jpeg)


.png)
.png)
.png)
.png)
.png)
.png)
.png)
.png)
.png)
.png)


.png)
.png)
.png)
.png)
.png)
.png)

.png)
Comments
Post a Comment