24/09/2024-22/10/2024 (Week 1-Week 5)
Jennifer Michelle Hiendrawan/0374682
Illustration and Visual Narrative/Bachelor of Design (Honours) in creative media
Task 1/Exercises
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1.Lectures
2.Instructions
3.Tasks
4.Reflection
1.LECTURES
Week 1 (26/9/2024)
(No classes)
Week 2 (03/10/2024)
Before we used adobe illustrator for our task, we learnt how to use pen tool by tracing some of the shape.This game helps us to master the pen tool in adobe illustrator.
We had a task this week and Mr.Hafiz provided us some of the shapes for the vormator task and teached us how to trace that so that we can use it for our task to create a character.
.png)
Week 3( 10/10/24)
This week, we learned about pathfinder and shape builder. We practiced by making an adidas logo using the tool and also used pathfinder for the circular shapes and separated the lines using shape builder.
2.INSTRUCTIONS
3.TASKS
TASK 1 (Week 2 Project 1- Vormator challenge)
On week 2, we were doing a creative exercise so that we can master the vector illustration and character design using adobe illustrator.Our goal is to create a unique character even though there are limited shape that can be use.There are some rules for this project:
1.We cannot alter the proportions of the shape
2.We are allowed to rotate, flip, and duplicate the elements
3.We are allowed to resize the shapes, however we must ensure that the proportions are not stretched by clicking shift whenever we want to resize the shapes
4.We are allowed to apply color, gradients, stroke properties from one object to another
5.We are allowed to adjust the thickness and style of lines
6.We are only allowed to use the shapes that has already given
.png)
.png)
In my opinion, this character looks so cute and also pretty at the same time.I extremely love clown, therefore i took this as an inspiration for my project.I made a clown and i used 3 main colors that inspired by this clown, which are red and pink.Then i added black into the character.
Besides clown, i also extremely love sonny angel character.So, the ears are inspired by this character from sonny angel.The ears look cute and also i think it can make the design looks better. Therefore i decided to make a bunny clown.
Making the outline
After i had an inspiration and also found a reference, i made the outline first using adobe illustrator.I made the outline by combining all of the shapes that has been given without distorting and altering the shapes.I only resized some of the shapes and used shift when i resized it, therefore the shapes were not altered and still have the same proportions.I also added a magic wand for my clown.The ears of the wand is inspired by the bunny ears and it has a special magic.However, i made the body became smaller than the reference because i want to make it become more unique.
Making the silhouette
After finalized the final outline, i finally made the silhouette for my design.I only can use 3 colors for my silhouette.I highlighted the essential parts from my character by using 3 colors.I used red, black, and white.
Color
After i'm done with my silhouette, i finally gave some colors to my design to make it look more realistic and also people can imagine my character.I decided to use some colors, such as black, red, pink, and cream.I used light and bright colors for my character.I decided to use pink due to the reference.Moreover, i felt that pink is a bright color and it reminds me of joy and happiness.I want my clown to be a cute clown and not spooky.Therefore, it really suits the clown character, which is funny and also pretty at the same time.I chose red because i think red is the best color to combine with pink.Besides that, red also depicts love.I want to create a clown character that can also spreading love to other people by making them laugh.
Character Name and Power
I decided to choose "clowby" for my character name.Clowby stands for clown and also bunny.Therefore, I combined it became clowby.Moreover, i also think that clowby will be a good name for my character because it is a cute name and i hope it can represent my character.I think clowby will be a name that can make other people easy to remember it because it is a simple name but really represent my character.
My character has a power.It has a magic wand and the shape was inspired by the ears of the bunny but i made it a little bit different than the real ears.I want it to look cute and suits the wand.Besides that, there is also a circle in my character's wand.It is a magic ball and it can hypnotize people.People can immediately imagine about something (hallucination) and cannot focus on their real life.I also designed my character's wand by added some details below the magic ball.I used red and pink colors for the magic wand because it represents happiness and love, which is in accordance with the magic power,
FINAL OUTCOME
Extra marks
For the extra marks, i applied shadows for my character using path finder and also added some details for the magic wand.
.png)
REFLECTION
This task helps us to explore, learn, and also try some new tools in adobe illustrator.Besides that, this task challenged us to be more creative because we must create a unique character with limited shapes and also strict rules.It also helps us to enhance our skills and knowledge about how to create a good character.
TASK 2 : COMPOSITIONMy character name is clowby that means clown bunny.I made it simple but easy to remember and unique.The name really represent my character.Clown and bunny are a great combination that children usally like.Plenty of children love to play with clown.Therefore, i created a land for children to play and some creatures that are also liked by children(such as cupcake, ice cream, lollipop, and others).Then i named my land 'sweet land'.Beacuse it is a sweet land, i wanted to use the domination of red and pink color.
for the background color
for the donut creatures
for the cupcake creatures
I wanted to create a sweet land with a building that cute and also eye-catching, therefore i looked for a reference and create a building from that reference.I also added a carriage for the transportation and some creatures who lived there to make the sweet land became more realistic.
I applied this frame ink for my final sketch, therefore it has background, middle ground, and also foreground. I made the foreground big so that it can tighten up the frame a bit more
First, i already created a sketch with the buildings and also creatures in it, however sir Hafiz said that my sketch didn't match the framed ink and i must re-do my sketch.o
first sketch
This is my final sketch.Sir Hafiz said that something needs to be so big it is cropped out in the foreground and i tried to make the sketch related to the frame ink that i chose.

final sketch
- Creature story (new character)
The story about the creature is they were the subwordinate of the clown bunny.They were there to help clowby when there is an enemy.They don't have special power and magic like clowby, however they are all strong and can defeat the enemy.The reason why i created the creature was because i think about a creature that children's like.I want all of the buldings and also creatures in sweet land to be children's favorite.Therfore, i chose sweet drink and also sweet food as the new creature.I used the original color to color the creatures to make it more realistic.The cupcake names is cuppy and she is the strongest, the ice cream name is creamy and she is the one who is very cool, the lollipop name is lolly and she is the sweetest.She always give support to her friend everytime they need support, the donat name is natty and she is also strong, she often help clowby to defeat the enemy, the cloud name is cloudy and cloudy is a little bit shy but she can handle the enemies well, and the last one is drinky.He always support his friend in the battle and provide all things that they need.
After my sketch has approved by Sir Hafiz, i continue to digitize my sketch using adobe illustarator and this is my process of making the digitazation.It's almost done, however i need to add some more shapes and also adjust the colors
.png)
I already added some details and adjusted the color for my artwork.Beisdes that, i also changed some parts of my artwork.I added some shadow and also gradient to make the background became more real.
After i asked sir Hafiz, he told me to remove the cloud unless it is necessary to tell the story and he told me to make the foreground a bit bigger to tighten up the frame a bit more.So, here is my final artwork.
Clowby is a cute and sweet clown bunny who is the boss of the sweet land.Sweet land is children's favorite place to play and stay because it is all about their favorite things.However, it is not only a place for children to play and stay, but also a safe place for children.The cute clown bunny can turn into a dangerous clown when there are enemies.It has a power from the magic wand.Clowby can hypnotize the enemies so that they can immediately imaginating about sweet land and cannot focus on their real life situation.So that, it can be easier for clowby to kill them.Besides that, clowby also has a redshots to decrease enemy's blood.Therfore, with this power, clowby can ensure that all of the creatures and also children there are safe.
The creatures there are supporting the boss, Clowby, to defeat enemies with their own power because they are all strong.Because clowby has a lot of subwordinate, they will always win the battle, that's why sweet land also create a safe place for children, because if children don't live in this land, they will be in danger and they cannot protected by someone.
REFLECTION
I got a lot of new knowledge and also experience using adobe illustrator.Now i know a lot of new tools and also the functions.By doing this exercise, it can help me to be more creative.
Comments
Post a Comment