5/12/2024-05/01/2025 (Week 11-Week 15)
Jennifer Michelle Hiendrawan/0374682
Illustration and Visual Narrative/Bachelor of Design (Honours) in creative media
Final Project/Webcomic
TABLE OF CONTENTS 1.Lectures
2.Instructions
3.Tasks
3.1 Reference board
3.2 Cover Page Process Work
3.3 Comic Panels Procsess Work
3.4 Animation
3.5 Final Outcome
4.Feedback
5.Reflections
1.LECTURES Week 11
Mr.Hafiz briefed us about our final assignment, which is webcomic.We must create a surrealism cover and also one-page comic using adobe illustrator and then make an animation from it using adobe photoshop or adobe after effects.After that we must compile all of it using google slides.
Week 12
Mr.Hafiz showed and explained to us about the transition that we must use for our cone-page comics.These are the transitions on google slide. Click this link
Week 13
Mr.Hafiz open offline consultation and also briefed us about the reference board.I showed my sketch to Mr.Hafiz and he gave me feedback for my sketch.He also said that he will continue to give other feedback on whatsapp.
Week 14
No lecture (Holiday)
Week 15
Mr.Hafiz showed us on how to do the animation and also gave us the final brief for the assignment
2.INSTRUCTIONS
3.TASKS
3.1 Reference board
First i read the whole comic and then i decided which is the best part.I decided to choose this part of the story.
Fig 3.1.1 Story line
After i chose this part, i consulted with Mr.Hafiz on whatsapp and he said that i can use this part for my one-page comic.Moreover, i also searched for the reference for the cover and also the one-page comic.
COVER REFERENCE
These are the references for the cover.
Fig 3.1.2 Cover Reference
.png)
Fig 3.1.3 Cover Color Pallet Reference
COMIC REFERENCE
These are the references for my one-page comic.
Fig 3.1.4 One-Page Comic Reference
3.2 Cover Page Progress WorkAfter i found the references, i continue to make the sketch for the cover.This was my first sketch for the cover.Mr.Hafiz already approved this on whatsapp.However, he said that i must crop a bit because the hand being cut off like that looks odd.
Fig 3.2.1 First sketch for cover
Therefore, i revised it and also i changed my cover a little bit because i'm noot that saitisfied with the first covver.So, here is my final sketch for the cover.
I want to focus on the monkey's paw, which the main focus on the story.So, i draw it big on the center.I also added the string that means the monkey's paw bring that people to dead.Under the monkey's paw, i draw a human that looks like a skull (surrealism) that represent the death.I made the letters look like blood also to represent pain and the horror genre.I made the letter 'T' became like a sword to explain that it can kill people.
Fig 3.2.2 Final sketch for cover
After i made the sketch for the cover, i proceed to adobe illustrator for the digitization.This is my progress for the cover digitization.
- First i trace the sketch one by one using pen tool
Fig 3.2.3 Tracing
- After i trace some of the sketch, i started to add the colors
Fig 3.2.4 Add Colors
- This was my first attempt which i haven't adjust the color, texture, etc
Fig 3.2.5 First Attempt without adjustmment
- I created the background using gradient
Fig 3.2.6 Background Color
- After that i used my own photo (cloud photo) to make it more real.I used overlay to make the the cloud photo combined with my background color.
Fig 3.2.7 Background Overlay
- After that i started to make the letters look like blood
Fig 3.2.8 Text
- I also added texture for the paw
Fig 3.2.9 Texture
- Here is the Final Outcome
Fig 3.2.10 Final Outcome
3.3 One-Page Comic Progress Work
First, i did the rought sketch for the comic and then sent it so Mr.Hafz on whatsapp.He said that the sketch is already clear and i can add the framed ink and also transition.This was my first sketch
Fig 3.3.1 First Attempt of One-Page Comic Sketch
After i got the feedback from Mr.Hafiz, i used framed ink and also the transition.This was my second attempt of the one-page comic sketch.I showed it to Sir Hafiz at physical class and he said that the transition and composition were wrong.
Therefore, i came out with the new sketch and i sent it on whatsapp.
Fig 3.3.2 Second Attempt of One-Page Comic Sketch
This are the transitions and also framed ink that i use. I used aspect to aspect for the transitions, so i made the panels from different kind of aspects.For the framed ink, i made some big and some small, so that the main focus is the big one.
Fig 3.3.3 Framed Ink
Fig 3.3.4 transitions
Sir Hafiz already approved my sketch.Therefore, i proceed to digitize my work on Adobe Illustrator.This was just a rough progress in illustrator.
Fig 3.3.5 First Attempt of Digitization
However, after that, sir Hafiz said that it looks floating and he asked me again about the surrealism art style.Therefore, i came out with other idea which is kind of different from my second sketch.Here is my final sketch.
Fig 3.3.6 Final Sketch
I continue to make it on adobe illustrator from the beginning.Here is the progress.First, i trace it and then i adjust the colors.After that, i made the surrealism effect.I used dark color to make it more horror and surrealistic.
Fig 3.3.7 Digitization Progress
This has already approved by Mr.Hafiz and he said that this looks better.I also added texture to make it more surrealism in art direction.This is the texture that i used.
Fig 3.3.8 Texture
Here is the final outcome of one-page comic
Fig 3.3.9 Final Outcome of One-Page Comic
First i made the artboard one by one using adobe illustrator. I want to make the animation which the paw will be moving and also the string can move left to right.I also wanted to make it more look surrealistic, so i make the size for cover for each frame a bit different, so that it will look shaky when i run the animation.
Fig 3.4.1 Animation Cover Progress
After i'm done making the artboard on adobe illustrator, i open photoshop and start to do the animation.I input the artboard and then tried to adjust the duration for each frames.
Fig 3.4.2 Animation Cover Progress on Photoshop
Here is the final outcome of the animation
Fig 3.4.3 Animation Final Outcome
First i made the artboard one by one using adobe illustrator.I want to make the animation for 3 panels.The first panel is when they shook hands.I want to make a slowmo version of it.From the first one, the hands are far from each other, until it became closer and closer.For the second panel, i want to animate the smoke from the kettle, i want to make the smoke moving and create the smoke from small to big.Last, for the third panel that i want to animate, i want to make the eyes look more brighter.
Fig 3.4.4 Comic Animation Progress on Adobe Illustrator
Fig 3.4.5 Comic Animation Progress on Adobe Illustrator
Fig 3.4.6 Comic Animation Progress on Adobe Illustrator After i'm done making the artboard on adobe illustrator, i open photoshop and start to do the animation.I input the artboard and then tried to adjust the duration for each frames.
.png)
Fig 3.4.7 Comic Animation Progress on Adobe Photoshop
Fig 3.4.8 Comic Animation Progress on Adobe Photoshop
Here is the final outcome of the animation.
Fig 3.4.9 Final Outcome of First Panel Animation
Fig 3.4.10 Final Outcome of Second Panel Animation
Fig 3.4.11 Final Outcome of Third Panel Animation
3.5 Final Outcome
Fig 3.5.1 Comic Mood board
Fig 3.5.2 Cover Mood board
Fig 3.5.3 Final Outcome of Cover PNG
Fig 3.5.4 Final Outcome of Comic PNG
Fig 3.5.5 Final Outcome of Cover Animation
Fig 3.5.6 Final Outcome of Comic Animation
Fig 3.5.7 Final Outcome of Comic Animation
Fig 3.5.8 Final Outcome of Comic Animation
4.FEEDBACK
Week 12
Online on whatsapp:Yes you may use this part.The sketches are clear. Now apply composition rules to it (framed ink) and then decide on the transition type (Understanding Comics)
Offline class: The transition isn't correct.
Week 13
I think everything is in order (framed ink, sketch, transition). Thanks Jennifer
Week 14
Maybe crop a bit, the hand being cut off like that looks odd.
Week 15
5.REFLECTION
I learnt a lot of new things and also i got a lot of important knowledge.Now i know that when creating a comic, we must have a good composition and also the transition ust be correct.I learnt a lot of important tools in adobe illustrator that i've never use it before.I also know that colors are important in comic.
Comments
Post a Comment