INFORMATION DESIGN: PROJECT 1

Week 1-Week 2 (04/02/2026-11/02/2026)

Jennifer Michelle Hiendrawan/0374682

Information Design/Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Creative Media

Project 2


TABLE OF CONTENT

1.Lectures
2.Instructions
3.Task
4.Final Project task
5.Feedback
6.Reflection


LECTURES

Refer to the exercise blog 


INSTRUCTIONS



TASK

For this assignment, we had to choose one video from the YouTube channel Pasta Grannies and learn the recipe for making the pasta shown in the video. After watching the video, we needed to take notes and study the steps for making the pasta. Then, we had to create a poster based on that recipe. 

First, I looked for a recipe that I liked from Pasta Grannies, and I eventually decided to choose lasagna. The following is the recipe that I used.

Fig 3.1 Pasta grannies video


Then, I started to write down the recipe step by step and watched the video from the beginning until the end. The following is the lasagna recipe.

Fig 3.2 Recipe


After completing the full recipe, I started thinking about the concept, what kind of poster I wanted to create, and what the mood board would look like.

Fig 3.3 moodboard

After creating the mood board and looking for references, i started to make the sketches. These are the sketches that are approved by Mr. Martin

Fig 3.4 sketches

Fig 3.5 sketches


After the sketches and moodboard were approved, i start to make the poster on adobe illustrator. I draw the vector one by one.

First i search a suitable font to be used for my pasta infographic and made the title, next i draw the ingredients one by one.
Fig 3.6 Progress

Fig 3.7 Progress

Fig 3.8 Progress

After drawing all of the ingridients, i start to draw the lasagna


Fig 3.9 Progress

After that i start to draw the "how to cook" section
Fig 3.10 Progress

Fig 3.11 Progress
Here are the final outcome for the first attempt

Fig 3.12 Progress

FIRST ATTEMPT:
Fig 3.13 First attempt

After the consultation with Mr. Martin, he said that the box on the middle is not that necessary and also the block for the step by step explanation doesn't look good, it would be better not to use that. Therefore, i made some changes and this is the final outcome.

Final Outcome

Fig 3.14 Final Outcome



FINAL PROJECT

For this final project, I am working in a team with Aveline Kristie. For this project, we chose my poster (lasagna) to be turned into an animation. The poster will be used as the basis for the video animation, including the style, color palette, and fonts. 

Fig 3.15 poster

First, we created a storyboard and determined the concept. The storyboard was designed with the idea of introducing the ingredients one by one through a spinning wheel. The animation then follows the approved storyboard, which was directly approved by Mr. Martin during the consultation. 

Fig 3.16 storyboard



After completing the storyboard, Aveline and I divided the tasks. Aveline worked on steps 1, 2, 3, and the opening, while I worked on steps 4, 5, 6, and the ending. After that, we continued by creating the vectors in After Effects and refining the storyboard in a more complete and detailed way before proceeding to the animation stage. This was my very first storyboard, Mr.Martin already approved it.

Fig 3.17 Detail storyboard on Adobe Illustrator (Step 4)

Fig 3.18 Detail storyboard on Adobe Illustrator (Step 4)

After that, I continued working on the storyboard until the final step. Here is the result. After I consulted with Mr. Martin, he said that the storyboard was already good and he liked the concept. However, he mentioned that the table didn’t match, so he suggested replacing it with a more suitable one to make it look more realistic. Here i also changed the background color

Fig 3.19 Detail storyboard on Adobe Illustrator (All steps)

After I finished my storyboard, I also started creating a few seconds of animation for step 4. Here is the result. Based on this animation, Mr. Martin gave feedback that each shape change should be done with a single hand movement, and also the animation is too slow.

Fig 3.20 First animation draft

After the consultation, I start revising the animation by making each step change shape in a single motion and also speeding it up. Here are the progress

First, I created the animation for each step along with a brief description of the step, using a null object to control the position, scale, and other properties.

Fig 3.21 Progress

Next, I started adding the assets one by one and adjusting their positions, as well as the timing

Fig 3.22 Progress

After that, I used the puppet pin tool on several points to animate the hand while flattening the dough.

Fig 3.23 Progress

I used a mask for the pasta machine so it could show the machine extending the pasta from short to long.

Fig 3.24 Progress

I also used a mask in this part to show the process of the pasta being cut.

Fig 3.25 Progress

Next, I used a null object to move the scoop and the pasta together, and also lowered the opacity of the pasta.
Fig 3.26 Progress

I adjusted the timing for each layer one by one.
Fig 3.27 Progress

Here is the second draft of the revised animation, which is almost finished.

Fig 3.28 second animation draft

Based on the second draft, here is a summary of Mr. Martin’s feedback.

The transparency is too slow for the dough section. For the pasta machine part, when the pasta moves down, it should zoom in, then transition from the zoomed pasta to the long rectangular pasta. All of the opacity transitions are very, very slow. Simplify the text, don’t make the step descriptions too long. The lasagna doesn’t look full enough, it should appear more overflowing. Mr.Martin also asked me to find the bgm first, so that i can match it with my aimation. In the 5 layers of lasagna section, the speed is inconsistent and needs to be made faster.

So, i try to find the bgm and this is the bgm that i use for the animation 

Therefore, based on the feedback i made a revision. Here are some of the progress. Also some of the progress of making step 6

I added null object to zoom the pasta machine and add a transition before cutting the pasta

Fig 3.29 Progress

Fog 3.30 Progress

Fig 3.31 Progress

Fig 3.32 Progress

Fig 3.33 Progress

Here is the third draft, which I combined with Aveline’s work. Based on this video, Mr. Martin asked to change the shape of the pasta in the water to match the example he provided.


Fig 3.34 third draft

Therefore, I made the final changes, where I also adjusted some of the background colors and changed the table according to what had been approved by Mr. Martin.

Fig 3.35 Progress

Fig 3.36 Progress


Next i added sound effect to make the animation more interesting to watch

Fig 3.37 Progress


Fig 3.38 Progress

Then, I combined my animation with Aveline’s, and adjusted the music so it transitions smoothly from her part to mine.


Fig 3.39 Progress

FINAL OUTCOME

Fig 3.40 Final Outcome


FEEDBACK

Week 5- The storyboard already okay
Week 6- Change the table because it doesn't look realistic, for the animation, each shape change should be done with a single hand movement, and also the animation is too slow. Please show more animation next week 
Week 7-The transparency is too slow in the dough section. In the pasta machine part, when the pasta moves down, it should zoom in, then transition from the zoomed pasta to the long rectangular pasta. All of the opacity transitions are very, very slow. Simplify the text, don’t make the step descriptions too long. The lasagna doesn’t look full enough, it should appear more overflowing. Mr.Martin also asked me to find the bgm first, so that i can match it with my aimation. In the 5 layers of lasagna section, the speed is inconsistent and needs to be made faster. Change the shape of the pasta in the water to match the example he provided.


REFLECTION
I gained a lot of new knowledge through this module, especially from the final project. I learned how to create animations properly, how to make more engaging motion graphics, and also explored several tools that I had never used before. Overall, creating a cooking animation turned out to be fun, even though it required a lot of time due to the many steps, especially since this was my first time making an animation this long. I also realized that background music and sound effects play a very important role in supporting an animation and making it more engaging.


Comments

Popular Posts